Monday, November 16, 2009

a.good.day

so, today was possibly my best day in Japan thus far. It was just such a perfect day, combining all the reasons I came to Japan. I was definitely looking forward to it, but was NOT looking forward to waking up early on a Sunday morning.

So I woke up around 8am (ok, I snoozed until almost 8:30), got up, and started making macaroni and cheese, out of the box of course. That may sound like an odd morning ritual, but today was a small BBQ party being held for me at one of my teachers' house up in Joge (one of my visit schools, about an hour north of where I live). So I just received a box from my mom full of boxed pastas (she knows me too well), so I decided I would take something truly American--and what's more American than bright orange, boxed noodles?? So I made that, got ready, and headed off. I got there and two of my students greeted me--3 of my students are Chinese exchange students, 3 come from the same high school in China every year. Anyway, two of them greeted me, followed by my teacher. I came to find out they live with him and his wife, which I didn't realize before. The other girl lives with the Chinese teacher at my school.

Yasuhara's house is awesome, it's the second and third floor of this building his father built 35 years ago--his mother's house is right behind it (and HUGE!). He grew up in that house, so not a far move! First we all got settled, I met his wife and two year old daughter (SO cute--Mayu-chan), gave her the Minnie Mouse bag I brought for her, and then we went for a walk--Yasuhara Sensei, Takeshita Sensei, and the three exchange students. Originally it was going to be too cold for the hike we had planned up the moutain, so we went to the two buddhist temples--even saw a real Japanese monk! I was so surprised since I didn't think they actually lived there anymore! He comes out, gives us a quick bow, and gets in a brand new-looking little car and drives off! I said to my teacher--"they drive!?" He thought that was hilarious. Just not what I expected I guess...

So anyway, it wasn't so cold, so we made the trek up the mountain--and what a trek it was! It was beautiful but semi-brutal--I'll be feeling it tomorrow! It was so fun to talk to the girls and my co-workers--the girls were linked at the arms the whole way, and at one point one of the girls got the courage to link my arm, it was so cute! It was so much fun, and I got to talk to everyone a lot!

When we got back we started eating--first an Autumn soup made right on the table, then potatoe salad/my mac and cheese, then barbeque (plus tons of Japanese tea along the way!). There was yaki soba, then some really famous steak--I guess it's from the same cows as Kobe, Kobe gets their cows from this place near here i guess! Then Takeshita Sensei had brought individual cakes from a bakery in Miyoshi--we all got to choose and they were soooo good! I was soooo full!!

I taught the girls crazy eights, we had a lot of fun playing cards--the teachers even got in towards the end! I learned that they are all coming back in April to go to University in Okayama--they are 19!! I was so surprised, and excited that we could keep in touch even after they leave Joge in February. We made lots of plans throughout the day to have another party soon--I think we'll probably have a Christmas party! I hope so!

I just had such a wonderful time--I got to see the mountains and the leaves changing, temples, really interact with my students, throw around ideas for teaching, and have fun!!! It was such a great day, my only regret is not getting any pictures--I forgot my camera because the batteries have been dead! But Takeshita sensei got some, so I'll have to ask him if I can get some from him! All in all a fabulous day--definitely a day for the "Stay another year" side of the argument! :)

ケイト

No comments:

Post a Comment